The six step program is essential for all pain patients. It covers the basics of pain management and is used as a guide line for improving one's health and function in life. Every step is critical and needs to be done everyday. There are no "I don't feel like it days". Each step is equally important, however, certain steps must be mastered before others can take place. With every monthly patient visit, I would like to hear how much progress he/she is making in each area or step.
Although, it is most helpful to have the pain patient comfortable and on stable medication regimens, it is necessary to start doing these steps as soon as possible. Any patient in CRISIS because of pain and depression needs to be stabilized first. Click buttons on right for more information .
THE SIX STEPS FOR EVERY PAIN PATIENT ARE:
- STRICT SLEEP HYGIENE
- DAILY AND FREQUENT STRETCHING ROUTINE
- HEALING PSYCHO-SOCIAL CHAOS AND STRESS.
- CHANGE DYSFUNCTION ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIORS, LEARN COPING SKILLS, INCREASE UNDERSTANDING, CHALLENGE PERSONAL BELIEFS
- FIND PASSION, HOBBIES, AND ACTIVITIES.
- MAXIMIZING MEDICATION REGIMEN, LIMIT ADVERSE EFFECTS, MEDICATION ROTATION AND ADJUSTMENTS.
MEDICATIONS ARE THE LAST STEP IN THIS BEGINNING PROGRAM, NOT THE FIRST!! SOME FURTHER STEPS FROM HERE WILL BE: MENTAL REJUVINATION, BIOLOGICAL REJUVINATION, INCREASING SPIRITUAL STRENGTH, AND IMPROVING PSYCHOLOGICAL INDEPENDENCE.
- Sleep is a Religion
- Stretching is a religion (Bedside Yoga)
- Healing your chaos or Fight CHAOS
- Stop Catastrophizing, Get Reality
- Learn triggers
- Set boundaries
- No one is going to get you better but you.
- Do it 20% at a time, and do a lot of 20%ers. Added up together they equal great improvement and less pain.